Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Election Reform Constitutional Convention

I agree with Lessig, I too am suprised that the ACLU would take a stand against openning a convention and forum for discussions on Election Reform. I also agree that there was nothing in the original Constitution that said anything about the liberty of corporations which is a grave disappointment in the Supreme Court decision in Citizens United.
On the other hand, I do understand that it is the knee jerk reaction of all attorney's who actually consider constitutional issues daily to avoid constitutional amendment at almost any cost. This is reflected by the fact that there are relatively few contitutional amendments in our history. All be it some are very very significant.
Perhaps we could work to better define and understand the nature and scope of the proposed Convention, why changes are need, and a dialogue about why public confidence in our political system make apathy seam a justified and reasonable.
I support Lessig's quest for a dialogue on these subjects. I don't purport to know the answers, but I do believe that this dialogue is worth the effort which apparently again puts me at odds with the ACLU. Again another suprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment